(The modern backslidden church)
The backsliding process used to be as follows:
(1) Cut off all intimacy with Christ and stop reading the Word.
(2) Stop attending Church services.
(3) Refuse to act upon the conviction of the Spirit.
(4) Exclusively take direction from that in which goes contrary to scripture.
(5) Backslide into willful and habitual sin.
(6) Convince yourself the Bible isn't true and they're isn't a hell anyway.
But now that we're in the midst of the apostasy, spoken of in 2 Thessalonians 2:3----the process has changed (as follows).
(1) Cut off all intimacy with Christ and stop reading His Word.
(2) Refuse to act upon the conviction of the Spirit.
(3) Backslide into willful and habitual sin.
(4) Begin to regularly attend a church that specializes in condoning the sin YOU decided to backslide over.
(5) Exclusively submit to that in which goes contrary to scripture (your pastor's teaching). Begin to fully embrace this as Truth.
(6) Convince yourself the Bible isn't completely true...your pastor is always right...and their probably isn't a hell anyway.
The modern church has sunk so far below what was considered authentic Christianity to the early church...that you'd have to backslide in order to have fellowship with them.
Welcome to the apostasy...where people who are hell-bent on going to hell...can maintain a church membership along the way.
Welcome to the apostasy...where people get so used to the dark, they think it's actually growing brighter...and consequently, they embrace the darkness as the light.
In order to gain the world...the church has become the world. And in exchange, they have trashed the Truth of God's Word and embraced a counterfeit.
Where Matthew 28:19 and the Great Commission is concerned: Sunday mornings, instead of having door greeters; Most modern churches need street Preachers to begin preaching the Judgment of God as the crowds funnel in.